This is the day when we hear much about success. Books are written almost every day concerning this subject. Clinics, Seminars, and rallies motivating others to successful living can be found in almost every city. We read about it, hear about it, and work hard to achieve it. But what is success?
When I consented to god’s call to preach the gospel, I began to save illustrations, quotes, poems, and any other information that I would someday find valuable for speaking. Over the years I have accumulated a great amount of material concerning various subjects. Especially under the heading of “Success”, I have gathered many informative thoughts, including the secrets, stories, rules, ingredients, formulas, guidelines, philosophies, measures, keys, science, traits, plans, and steps of success. After spending time studying the subjects and mingling with all types of people, allow me to share with you my definition.
Success id choosing to enter the arena of action, determined to give yourself to the cause that will better humanity and last for eternity
Included in this definition of success are seven vital ingredients.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING
- Since it involves a decision, success is knowing the truth and accepting it! Our society is full of plastic buildings on the foundation of false hopes. We live in a day of shortcuts, loopholes, and “one more for the road”, as we look for an exit to escape reality. We’re not successful until we know what’s right and then do it.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION
- Success is finding a need and fill it. many people can find a need, point to the problem, and size up the situation. Only a successful person goes the next step beyond finding the need-he or her endeavors to fill it.
- The story of the Good Samaritan vividly illustrates the difference between a winner and a loser. A man was robbed, beaten, and felt to die alongside the road. A priest saw the need and passed him by. A Levite saw the need and went on without helping. But the Good Samaritan not only saw the need but endeavored to meet it. He was not content to be a spectator.
The way to the Top is not “stepping on other” but stooping to helps others.
- Every person who has felt responsible to help someone else will quickly agree with the following truth: “No person can sincerely try to help another person without helping himself or herself”. In other words, “You can get everything in life you want if you help enough other people get what they want, ” Zig Ziglar declare.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION DETERMINED
- Success is facing a challenge and meeting it. once you enter into the arena of action, be ready for problems. Little problems that nibble. Big problems that devour. Nagging problems that persist. Perplexing problems that confuse. Problems come in all sizes and shapes. They will at all times. Like death, problems are no respecters of persons.
- It’s not nearly as important where you’re located when problems come as to where you are when the problems are over. No problems will leave you the same person after it has gone. Problems are great dividers between success and failure. How you handle them will determine on which side you’ll live.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION DETERMINED TO GIVE YOURSELF
- Success is losing a life and finding it. Jesus said,” Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” What you keep you lose and what you lose you keep! What a paradox! One of the reasons many have never tasted sweet success is that they’re unwilling to sacrifice to achieve. Life is just a bargainer. You give little, and you receive little. You give much, and you receive more.
Problems are the great dividers between success and failure. how you handle them will determine on whcih side you’ll live.
- I always enjoy watching the Olympics. The pomp of the program, the strategy of the teams, the support of the fans, the international interest, the grace and skills of the athletes, and the ecstasy of the victory all bring me enjoyment. However, my greatest thrill is seeing the dedication of those athletes. Years of training, days of discouragement, periods of pain- all play a part in the lives of the athletes as they prepare for the competition. More gold medals have been won because of consecration and sacrifice than by natural abilities and “lucky breaks”. A person never truly lives until he or she has a reason to die for something.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION what you keep DETERMINED TO GIVE YOURSELF TO THAT CAUSE
- Success is having a plan and following it. The apostle Paul said,” We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared beforehand for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10) God has created you for a purpose. It’s easy to see what an individual is pursuing in his or her goals for life. The way the person undertakes his or her affairs is largely determined by the way the person sees his or her goals. Are you excited as you pursue the goals that you and God have set?
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION DETERMINED TO GIVE YOURSELF TO THAT CAUSE THAT WILL BETTER HUMANITY
- Success is developing talent and sharing it, not merely having talent. Nothing is more distressing than seeing people with great ability sitting on the shelf of life. When we study the parable of the talents, it’s evident that those who show and invest their talents, regardless of the number, increase and develop them.
Nothing is more distressing than seeing people with great ability sitting on the shelf of life
- Several years ago I thought it would be nice if one of the men shared and invested his talents in Jesus’ parable had lost one or more of them. I thought that would prove he was human. But the more I have studied the parable of the talents and observed those people who have lived lives of giving to others, the more I have come to the conclusion that its impossible to lose what you share with others.
- SUCCESS IS CHOOSING TO ENTER THE ARENA OF ACTION DETERMINED TO GIVE YOURSELF TO THAT CAUSE THAT WILL BETTER HUMANITY AND LAST ETERNITY
- Success is going to heaven and knowing it! As a child growing up in a Christian home, I remember well a plaque on the wall of our home that had the following words inscribed in it:
Only one life
Twill soon be past
Only what’s done
For Christ will last
Knowing the truth and accepting it;
Finding a need and filling it;
Facing a challenge and meeting it;
Losing life and finding it;
Having a plan and following it;
Developing talent and sharing it;
Going to heaven and knowing it;
I wish you all the success in the world!
From the book of John C. Maxwell “Think of these things” a meditation for Leaders.